Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Playing the blame game

When Adam ate of the forbidden fruit and God asked him "Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?" it was not because God wanted to know what had happened. He already knew. It was because He wanted Adam to confess.

You will remember how Adam replied: "The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me the fruit of the tree, and I ate" (Gen 3:12). It wasn't my fault; it was the woman's fault. It was the woman You gave me. Perhaps it was Your fault. The blame game. People are still playing it, even to this day.

It wasn't my fault; it was somebody else's fault. It was the Government's fault. The council's fault. The school's fault. My parents' fault. The system's fault. I once heard an armed robber who had shot a woman he was trying to rob say "It was her fault. She should have given me the money." It wasn't my fault that I shot her. It was her fault that she got shot because she didn't give me her money when I told her to.

People will never get anywhere in life until they recognise they are responsible for their actions, and for the consequences of their actions.

The Bible says we are all sinners. None of us is perfect; not one.

If you will believe that Jesus died in your place to pay the price for your sin, tell Him that you're a sinner and sorry for your sins and invite Him into your life to be your Saviour and Lord of your life, He will forgive you every sin that you have ever committed. He will cleanse you inside so that you can know the peace of sins forgiven, look anyone in the eye and walk down the street with your head held high.

He will not only forgive you your sin but set you free from the power of sin, so that you don't have to do those things any more. If you sin after accepting Christ, it's not because you have to, but either because you choose to sin or because you allow yourself to do so.

So if you fail after accepting Christ? There's still forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 says "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Confess it. Repent of it. Tell Him you're sorry. He will be faithful to forgive you.

When you accept Christ, He gives you a new heart. Keep it fit for Him to live there. Be careful what you watch. Be careful what you listen to. Don't go to places or put yourself in situations where you're likely to be tempted.

"Keep your heart with all diligence," the Bible says, "For out of it spring the issues of life" (Pro 4:23).