Saturday, January 17, 2009

Getting answers to prayer (1)

Some people imagine that prayer is something of a hit-and-miss business. A bit like throwing snowballs at the moon and hoping something will stick. Really, prayer is not like that at all.

The fact is that God promises to answer prayer. Consider the seven occasions in the Gospels where Jesus promises answers to prayer.

In Matt 7:7, 8 Jesus says "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." The promise is repeated in Luke 11:9, 10.

John 14:13, 14 says "Whatever you ask in my name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it."

If you had been in His shoes, would you have made a promise like that? Neither would I. But He did.

John 16:23, 24 says "In that day you will ask me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full."

In Matt 21:22 Jesus promised "All things, whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."

In Mark 11:24: "I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them."

Finally, John 15:7. "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you."

So, when I pray, can I ask for anything?

Yes, you can.

Two private jet planes and a billionaire lifestyle?

Well, no.

But you said. . .

Yes, I know what I said. Look at it like this. The Bible is full of promises. Most of the promises have conditions attached to them. Fail to fulfil the conditions and you won't see the promise fulfilled. But fulfil the conditions, and you will see the promise fulfilled certain sure.

So do the promises to answer prayer have conditions attached to them?

Yes, they do. Would you like to know what they are?