Tuesday, January 19, 2010

'I was completely in awe'

Marian Chadwick owns a boutique in a shopping precinct in the town of Frisco in North Texas.

It was almost time to lock up for the night, according to CBS news. She had already put the "Closed" sign on the shop door and was inside the shop serving her last customer.

A man walked into the shop wearing sunglasses and a hooded sweatshirt, pulled out a gun and demanded money. At first Marian thought it was a joke and began to joke with him.

When he quickly made it clear that this was no joke and began to bang on the glass counter with his gun, she looked him straight in the eye and said "In the name of Jesus, I command you to get out of my store. You are bound by the Holy Spirit and you are leaving."

The man began to back off, then pointed his gun at the customer and ordered her to get down on the floor. The customer said "I remember thinking 'I don't think so.'"

The gunman turned and left, without any money. No shots were fired and no one was hurt.

In the moment she had to think, Marian thought "If I give him the money, there's no guarantee he won't shoot me anyway. So let's go the hard way then."

Said the customer, Kathy Vereen:"I was just so completely in awe about how God did protect us."