Saturday, February 06, 2010

'Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey him'?

The other day someone was trying to convince me that Jesus was not God, but was Himself created. They couldn't do it. The Bible shows quite clearly that Jesus is God.

Try Psa 45:6, 7; Isa 7:14; 9:6; Micah 5:2; John 1:1; 8:58; 20:28, 29; Rom 9:5; Phil 2:5, 6; Tit 2:13; Heb 1:8; 1 John 5:20.

The whole point of the Christian gospel is that man could not save himself, so God came down in the person of the Son and died in man's place so that man's sins might be forgiven (1 Tim 3:16).

Some Christians who would accept the deity of Christ have difficulty in accepting that He is a man. "No," they suppose, "He was a man, but He's God now." Not so. He is God, of course. He always was, and He always will be.

But He is still a man. Listen: "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim 2:5, my italics). When Jesus took on human flesh, He didn't take it on for a lifetime, He took it on for ever.

At the resurrection, He arose physically from the dead. "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself," He told the disciples. "Handle me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have" (Luke 24:39). "Reach your finger here, and look at my hands," He told Thomas, "and reach your hand here, and put it into my side" (John 20:27). He ate food after He rose from the dead (Luke 24:41 - 43). When He went back to heaven, He took His body with Him.

The good news is that there is a man sitting on a throne in heaven, and He is representing me. The fact that He is in glory is evidence that I shall be there too. "I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:2, 3).

Jesus is wholly God and wholly man. He is entirely wonderful. He deserves my complete devotion. "Blessing," says Rev 5:13, "and honour and glory and power Be to him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, for ever and ever!"