Thursday, October 21, 2010

The cost of abortion

Since the Abortion Act was passed, seven million unborn babies have been killed by abortion in the UK. That's one tenth of the present total population.

The number of unborn babies killed by abortion in England, Wales and Scotland since 1967 equals the total populations of Birmingham, Glasgow, Bradford, Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Wakefield, Cardiff, Coventry, Nottingham, Cambridge, Blackpool, Oxford, Barnsley, Bury and Doncaster put together.

The number of babies killed each day equals two Lockerbie disasters. The number aborted each year equals twice the losses on the Somme. The number aborted each week is more than the number of people killed in the twin towers disaster at New York's World Trade Centre on 9/11.

More than 200,000 babies are aborted in the UK each year. That's 17,000 each month; 4,000 each week; 600 each day. Each one is a human life.

Many women are suffering from what has come to be known as post-abortion syndrome. Symptoms are sleeplessness, anxiety, grief, anger, depression, drugs and alcohol abuse, self-destructive behaviour, difficulties with relationships and terrible feelings of guilt.

Said one, "I cried and cried. I crept into my babies' room and stared at their tiny bodies. How badly I wanted my first child to be there too. I lost my child forever." Said another, "I cry for my aborted baby all the time. I've lost interest in everything. I hurt and I feel sick with guilt and self-hatred. Baby, I love you."

Because of God's mercy and grace, there is forgiveness. But for some women, it's a long road.

Next Wednesday, October 27 - the anniversary of the passing of the Abortion Act - is the National Day of Prayer about abortion. Some people may be praying outside abortion clinics. Some churches may be meeting together to pray. Some people will be praying with their church, their ladies' group, their prayer group or their youth group. Some will pray at home. Will you arrange to pray?

You will find details, suggested prayer topics and a PowerPoint presentation you can download at www.imagenet.org.uk.