Monday, June 29, 2015

A time to live - and a time to die

Growing old has its advantages. The older you get, the more real heaven becomes.

I know that all my sins are forgiven and I have a home in heaven. Let me hasten to say that this has nothing to do with who I am or what I have done, and everything to do with what Jesus did on an old cross two thousand years ago.

Let no one think that he can get to heaven because of the good life he has lived or the good deeds he has done. If that were possible, Christ would not have needed to have died. Let no one think that salvation is automatic. Like any other gift, it has to be received.

But let no one who has believed on Christ as Saviour for his salvation doubt that Christ has paid the price in full.

There was a time in my life when heaven was something in the distant future. Having received God's forgiveness, I did not fear death, but if I am honest, I might have feared the process of dying.

No more. I realise the time will come when I no longer wish to stay here. At a moment of God's choosing, I will stop breathing and pass from here to there. I hope people won't grieve. I will be as much alive as ever I have been; in fact, more so.

The Bible doesn't tell us everything about heaven, but it tells us sufficient.

Heaven is a place of beauty. It's a place of service. A place of infinite creativity. A place of wonderful relationships. A place of surpassing joy.

"You will show me the path of life;
   In your presence is fullness of joy;
At your right hand are pleasures for evermore"  Psa 16:11.
        

No comments: