Wednesday, March 21, 2012

'Till death us do part' would be a bit difficult. . .

Well, it had to happen. It might have taken a while, but we did finally get round to it.

Nadine Schweigert, a 36-year-old from Fargo, North Dakota, USA, got married - to herself. She confided to a friend that she was waiting for someone to come along and make her happy. The friend said "Why do you need someone to marry you to be happy? Marry yourself." So she did.

It was quite an affair, with a good-sized guest list of family and friends. The bride wore a long dress in peacock blue satin, and carried a cluster of white roses.

During the ceremony, conducted by a friend, she read her vow: "I, Nadine, promise to enjoy inhabiting my own life and to relish a lifelong love affair with my beautiful self." According to the Park Rapids Enterprise, she presented herself with a ring, and at the point where the groom normally kisses the bride, she invited all the guests to "blow kisses to the whole world."

After the ceremony, guests enjoyed white wedding cake decorated with peacock blue fondant and New Orleans-style king cake. The bride later left for a honeymoon in New Orleans.

Nadine said the wedding went so perfectly, it left her in awe. "I'm very proud of it and I feel very good about it. I'm so glad I did it.

"I'm just a unique, awesome person who doesn't fit anyone's mould or ideal, and I hope you're OK with that. And if you're not, that's OK too."

The bride's mother said that nothing surprised her any more.

Actually, the bride had some experience. She was already married. And divorced.

Her 11-year-old son told her he loved her, but that she was embarrassing him.

Like I said, it had to happen. Start messing about with the law concerning marriage, and there's no limit to where things can get.